Old fashioned icing for cakes
Here’s a recipe that any old-time Southern cook has to have in her collection. This is a black walnut pound cake recipe like our grandmothers used to make, and is at least 100 years old. You can serve this cake with our without an icing, but it’s amazing by itself. Nothing beats a nice, warm slice of old fashioned black walnut cake on a chilly autumn day. Enjoy!
4.8 from 19 reviews
Black Walnut Pound Cake
Recipe type: Cake
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 1 hour 20 mins
Total time: 1 hour 40 mins
A slice of old fashioned black walnut pound cake is hard to beat!
- ½ lb margarine or butter
- ½ cup Crisco
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups plain flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp black walnut flavoring
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup chopped black walnuts
- Cream margarine/butter and shortening.
- Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well.
- Add flavoring and beat well.
- Mix ¼ cup of flour with nuts, and sift remaining flour with baking powder and alternately add with milk, starting and ending with flour.
- Fold in floured nuts. Do not beat!
- Bake in greased and floured tube pan for 1 hour and 20 minutes in 325 degree oven.
Serving size: 1 slice Calories: 417 Fat: 31.9 g Saturated fat: 12.7 g Unsaturated fat: 8.8 g Carbohydrates: 25.1 g Sugar: 0.3 g Sodium: 179.5 mg Fiber: 1.6 g Protein: 8.5 g Cholesterol: 117.7 mg
Wordpress Recipe Plugin by EasyRecipe